Frequently asked questions

What qualifications are required to apply for teacher training in the UK?
You will require at least a grade C in both GCSE English and GCSE Maths (or equivalent qualification) plus a degree. Entry criteria relating to the degree can vary between different providers as some require the degree to be in the subject you wish to teach and some stipulate a minimum class of degree.

I have qualifications from overseas – how can I find out the equivalent UK qualifications?
UK NARIC is the National Agency responsible for providing information, advice and expert opinion on qualifications worldwide. You can contact them via their website.

Other than qualifications, what are training providers looking for in candidates?
Candidates should be able to provide evidence of relevant experience of working with young people, preferably in the age group they wish to teach. Many successful applications are received from those who already work in support roles in schools such as Teaching Assistants.

What is the difference between the School Direct salaried and non-salaried routes?
The salaried route is designed for candidates who have at least three years’ experience in the workplace. You do not have to pay any fees for the training and you are employed by one of our partner schools for a maximum of one year. At the end of the training you gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).
The non-salaried route is deisgned for recent graduates or for candidates who do not have three years’ work experience. You would have to pay fees for this course, which are currently £9000. At the end of the training you gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and in some cases a PGCE.

What is the difference between QTS and a PGCE?

QTS (Qualified Teacher Status) is the accreditation that enables you to teach in state-maintained and special schools in England and Wales.
A PGCE (Post Graduate Certificate of Education) is an additional academic qualification which includes QTS. Some PGCE courses count towards a Masters in Education course